A couple of months back I made coco the horse which I have worn a LOT. I have been planning a striped coco for a while but was thinking along the lines of a more traditional Breton top.
I had some jersey fabric that I didn’t know what to do with, so last week I cut out another coco. What I didn’t bank on was the fact that the stripes are really thin and that pattern matching would be a bloody nightmare. DAGNAMMIT.
I cut it out on a Sunday night, fully intending to sew it on the Monday.
I failed to factor in the fact that it was the last week of term and what I really wanted to do was sit on the sofa and dribble a little bit.
I also wasn’t entirely sure that I liked the fabric. I mean, I liked it enough to buy it, but when push came to shove I wasn’t convinced I would wear it.
Ah well. Once it’s cut you’ve got to finish it, right?
A week later than planned I finally sat down and sewed coco up.
And then I remembered why I don’t do stripes.. The stripes are just so bloody fiddly, and pattern matching made me go cross eyed.
I have to admit that one side seam matches better than the other, but I’m not really sure anyone would really notice. Annoyingly I had pinned it perfectly, but because this fabric is stretch it moved ever so slightly as I sewed it up. Lesson lesrned for next time…
As I was making this coco, I happened to mention to Mr TOPP that I wasn’t convinced about the fabric. He said he agreed, and that it made him think of a 1970s coach seat. Not exactly the look I was going for.
Once I had finished I tried it on, fully expecting to hate it and find someone to palm it off on/generously give it to. I have to say it wasn’t as bad as I’d feared…
I guess the real test will be when I wear it out: if people try to sit on me I’ll know Mr TOPP was right.